Contact

Thursday, February 16, 2012

A New Neverland

Wednesdays are typically busy, and I'm thankful for that.

First, I would like to thank Kurtis Wiebe and Tyler Jenkins for making the time to visit Alpha Comics in Calgary last night for their signing of their new comic Peter Panzerfaust. The event was marked by relentless sales (lines are always a good sign), good company, and lots of laughs.

Shut up and take my money!


My hope is that Panzerfaust is given the time it rightfully deserves to explore the Pan mythology, and based on the reviews coming out in the last day, there's some definite magic behind the cover. Wiebe and Jenkins have made a wonderful first impression with the first issue and I would highly recommend readers who have become weary of Fables' spin-offs and latest direction to check out the action and charm that Panzerfaust promises. It's rare to find a war book that's fun (most stick to the grim-and-gritty trend.) but with non-invasive writing to the source material and kenetic art depicting flights from danger (with one very smart panel breaking) Panzerfaust is clearly in good hands. The pacing is strong and there's enough set-up narration to bring in new readers who might not be familiar with everything Pan. For anyone who likes fairy-tales, war stories, or remembers reading adventure comics while hiding under bedsheets with wide eyes and a wider smile, Panzerfaust is youth, is joy, and it'll remind you of dreams and happy things. Pick it up.

Secondly, the signing wouldn't be possible without the good help of Chris of Alpha Comics. The man works like a machine and frankly I have no proof he isn't one. A round of applause for him. I'd also like to thank Tyler for putting me in my place regarding my T-34 tank comment -- I'm sure we'll talk more when we get to WWII planes.

Hive of scum and villainy right there. It's too clean to be true.

I'd also like to thank Dr. Tara Hyland-Russell and the students/visitors of my History of Crime Comics lecture at STMU yesterday for their attention and courageous question-asking. I'm always eager to talk comics and the craft, so please don't be shy sending me an email. I intend on having some notes from the lecture on my blog here in the next week.

A rare shot of the wild Canuck Goose in its natural teaching environment.

Reviews for this week's books shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment