Contact

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Making Comic Decor

I won't ever buy a piece of original comic art. It's not because I'm not interested, I just can't fit it into my budget (and am resigned to the fact that I never will). Still, I love art and I love to display it proudly, sharing books, laying them all over the place -- okay that last one is a messiness thing. Some people have made a life out of collecting comic art and while I'm not part of this "collector" demographic, I still respect comics as an art form.

I also hate empty walls.

Comics. You're doing it right.
Combining comics and home decor isn't much of a stretch, but sadly there's no sort of industry for page reprints (not that I know of). Now I'm not talking about going whole-hog and making a love-seat made out of pieces of Justice League #5, but for the art-enthusiast who would like to spruce up a room, here are some suggestions on how to lovingly display your favorite artists.

I don't care how much you like Frank Miller, you don't hang frame-to-frame.

Custom Framing: Chances are you already own a few issues that have sentimental value. I've only ever double-dipped in paying for a comic and the hardcover once (Morrison and Murphy's Joe the Barbarian). In this case I would have no problem with putting the issues behind glass to display. Framing a comic is also a great way to preserve it, much better than bag-and-board. If you're considering framing a comic do your research. Michaels in Canada having a notorious reputation for messing up their framing orders and if you hunt around through smaller businesses you'll actually be able to score some cheaper deals. I've done my custom framing with these guys here based in Calgary.

Canvas Printing: Having worked in home decor for over 5 years I witnessed the boom of people providing their own images for canvas printing. The benefit of this is that most printers have a scanner that allows you to blow up your image to a larger size. This is not the same as "Canvas Transfer" which laminates the image onto a sheet of canvas which is then stretched. If there's a cover you own that you'd love to have printed, try going back through the publisher's solicits online and try finding the text-free version of it.

Where else can you get a 52" Scott Pilgrim stretched canvas?

I'm more of a frame guy myself.

Digital Frames:
 Good art is only a wi-fi connection away and digital picture-frames have long been flooding the market. Simply download you favorite covers or scan your favorite page. With publishers going day-and-date with their comic's releases you can also use an e-reader or iPad to can copy a page with a quick button click after you've supported the artist/writer/publisher by buying their book on Comixology (for example).

The only setback? Wires.

The tails make them ineffective killers.

Until they work out wireless electricity and do away with the need to paint the power cables to hide them, it really doesn't look that great. If I had the money I'd buy tablets and strap them to the walls instead. Until we resurrect Tesla, we're hooped it seems.

The only comic art I own. A reprint from Hark, A Vagrant.

So which would you prefer if you were to hang it on your wall? A famous cover or a favorite page? There's an argument that could be made for both. You might get more out of a page of comic art because of the re-readability while a cover might be eye-catching every time you enter the room. 

My top five artists for home decor?: Darwyn Cooke, Francesco Francavilla, Sean Gordon Murphy, Chris Samnee, and J.H.Williams III. My second five: Sean Phillips, Mike Mignola/Guy Davis (don't make me choose!), Rafael Albuquerque, Berni Wrightson, and Jeff Smith.

Who would yours be?

No comments:

Post a Comment